NATIONAL SKI TEAM!

It’s May 14th and a new season is upon us! I had a great spring with a highlight vacation to Peru with my girlfriend. We traveled around Southern Peru mostly by bus and explored the capital city Lima, Cusco, Puno and Arequipa. We spent 5 days on an amazing trek with Sun Gate Tours starting near Mollepata and finishing at Machu Picchu. Our trek began in the mountains, passing by Salcantay Mountain (6240m) while hiking over a high pass of 4600m, before dropping down into the edge of the amazon in the town Santa Teresa and finishing in Aguas Calientes (the hub for visiting Machu Picchu). We also spent 2 days on a tour of Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest commercially navigable lake sitting at 3811m. The tour included a night’s stay with a local family on Amantani Island.

While I was in Lima I received an email from my coach, Eric Bailey, telling me to phone him. So later in the evening I phoned from a pay phone outside a grocery store and received some very exciting news; I have been nominated to the National Ski Team! After the call I was walking around that grocery store with the biggest grin plastered on my face. I am proud and honored to be a part of the National Team. Not only am I on the NST but I’m also still a member of the National Development Centre in Thunder Bay. It’s great to have the opportunity to spend another season with the Thunder Bay crew and I’m really looking forward to training with both teams.

One of the wonders of the world, Machu Picchu.

My first training camp will be with NDC-TBay as we kick off the season with our annual Boot Camp May 24th-31st. I’ll be joining up with the NST towards the end of June for a Haig Glacier Yo-Yo Camp and then rejoining the TBay crew for another Haig Glacier Camp when they arrive in Canmore in the middle of July.

That’s it for now. Stay classy… Canada.

Myself and Britt standing at the top of Machu Picchu Mountain.

Sitting on Taquile Island with Amantani Island in the background.

Comments