Turning Point

I may have had a bit of a slow start to the season once again, but I finished the season stronger than ever. The Christmas break started to breathe some life into my exhausted body, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to give me the energy I needed for World U-23 trials. I had one solid race, a 13th place in the individual start 15km skate, but the other two races weren’t so hot. I arrived home from trials a very tired boy. After a few skis and some catch up on homework, I caught the flu. It hit me hard. I lost about 10 pounds and was out of commission for a week. I guess my body was done giving me warning signals and finally just broke down, forcing me to rest.

Canmore U-23 Trials 15km Skate

13th place Senior Men

As soon as I was healthy our team took a road trip to the States for two Super Tour events. Finally, I started racing well and brought home a little prize money. The Telemark Super Tour was a larger event with more competition including a few U.S. National team members. My results from the trip were:

Mount Itasca Super Tour
Classic 10km Individual Start – 7th
Skate 10km Individual Start – 5th

Telemark Super Tour
Skate Sprints – 13th
Classic 10km Individual Start – 14th
Skate 15km Mass Start – 7th

Following our trip to the States our team put in a month long training block including some good volume and fun local races. I competed in all three races at the Ontario Cup as well as the LSSD Championships. I was happy to be able to perform well in all these races despite being in the middle of a volume training block.

Ontario Cup
Classic Sprints – 2nd
Skate 15km Mass Start – 2nd
Classic 10km Individual Start – 1st

LSSD Championships
Classic 10km Individual Start – 1st

Ontario Cup Skate Mass Start. First time I have ever had the #1 seed in a race!

On the podium. Harry took the sprint finish for gold.

Finishing off the O Cup classic race.

Made it to the top step.

This outlines my lead up to the 2009 Nationals and the turning point in my season.

Comments

Lena said…
Loved reading this thankk you